A Postcard From: Hayley Johnson ’18

Name: Hayley Johnson
Major: Physics
Hometown: Vienna, Va.

Internship Placement: Bryn Mawr Summer Science
Job Title: Researcher
Location: Bryn Mawr, Pa.

I’m doing computational work to identify a wave in the Large Plasma Device at UCLA. Rotating the plasma at certain speeds aids confinement, which is desirable for fusion purposes. But at those speeds we also see an unidentified wave cropping up that, based on my work, I now know is actually two waves. Data was taken last summer at UCLA, and now I’m running code to do data analysis and identify what kind of wave we’re looking at.

I’ve been working in the plasma physics lab at Bryn Mawr for about a year and a half now, so it seemed natural to continue working in the lab over the summer. The work I’m doing now will also become my senior thesis this coming year.

What has been your favorite part of this internship?

We’re partnered with a plasma physics lab down at Swarthmore, and it’s been really fun getting to interact with the students in that lab. We meet up at least once a week, and it’s a great opportunity to share our work and give each other advice about how to proceed. It’s also been fun to interact with people outside of the Bryn Mawr community who are at the same stage in their physics career as I am.

What is most rewarding about your internship?

The most rewarding feeling is when I get a really complicated piece of code to work. The longer I spend on it, the better the feeling is when it finally runs.

2 thoughts on “A Postcard From: Hayley Johnson ’18

1. So happy that you are enjoying school and Physics! Keep up your studies and I know you will have a great future. We miss the Johnson’s in Glenbrooke Woods.

2. Hayley..you are so amazing. The only word I understand is Plasma….your brain is in constant thought. How inspiring to see someone making a difference in the world.. Maybe one day before you accept your Nobel Prize..you can explain it in simple simple words I might understand better. And then maybe I won’t even understand that best wishes to you. Love Dayle