A Postcard From: Mariam Haider ’18

Name: Mariam Haider
Major: Biology
Hometown: Hanover Park, Ill.

Internship Placement: Summer Science Research
Job Title: Research assistant
Location: Bryn Mawr College

What’s happening at your internship?

I am researching under Dr. Monica Chander on an endogenously produced redox-active antibiotic in the bacteria Streptomyces coelicolor. We are looking at a transcription factor, SoxR, which regulates a small set of genes that protect the bacteria from self-toxicity by the antibiotic. My project is to distinguish what molecule(s) may activate SoxR in the antibiotic biosynthesis pathway.

Why did you apply for this internship?

I applied for Summer Science because it’s an excellent stepping stone into the research field, and I have been fortunate enough to work on an interesting topic in Dr. Chander’s lab. Dr. Chander’s lab tackles experiments in a multidisciplinary fashion and I want to learn how to research by her example.

What has been the biggest challenge you have faced at your internship?

My biggest challenge is asking for clarification when I do not understand something. This issue has always been a struggle for me, and I am learning daily how to overcome this challenge in lab.

What is most rewarding about your internship?

The most rewarding thing about my internship is finishing an experiment and understanding that my work for this summer and this year will be read by future researchers with Dr. Chander, and hopefully will be of some aid.