A Postcard From: Victoria Culton ’18

Name: Victoria Culton
Major: International Studies
Hometown: Atlanta, Ga.

Internship Placement: Control Risks
Job Title: Global Risks Analysis Team Intern
Location: New York, N.Y.

Control Risks is a risk management consultancy that mainly focuses on security and political risk. I work on the Global Risks Analysis team, and I just finished a threat assessment for a client’s building. For the threat assessment, I gather data and make a report summarizing my analysis of the potential direct and indirect threats to the client. I also recently researched lawyers for a client that could potentially need legal counsel.

I applied to this internship because the focus of the company aligned with my interest. I knew I wanted to work for a consulting agency this summer to gain experience in that field. Control Risks was perfect. It has elements of political science, international affairs, and business. When I saw they had an internship for the Global Risks Analysis team, I knew I wanted to work there.

Living in a new city? What has that experience been like for you?

Living in New York City has been a great experience. I lived here last summer for the first time, but since returning I have been able to explore more of the 5 boroughs than I had originally done. I love how easy it is to get around the city and how close in proximity everything is.

What is most rewarding about your internship?

I think the most rewarding part of my internship was the most recent threat assessment, which was a team effort. This assessment was really important to my supervisor and it took a lot of hours to complete. When we finished and I was able to look back and see all of the work that we had completed, I was really proud of myself.