A Postcard From: Sanjana Sen ’19

Name: Sanjana Sen
Major: Mathematics
Hometown: Kolkata, India

Internship Placement: Wash Cycle Laundry
Job Title: Sales and Marketing Intern
Location: Philadelphia

What’s happening at your internship?

There is a lot happening at Wash Cycle this summer. Startups are always a bit of a whirlwind, but this has been an especially exciting time at wash cycle. We are in the midst of multiple transitions — new technology, new hires, new systems, expansions.
I’ve mainly been responsible for the phasing in of a new database for the company. It allows us to track the entire pick up, washing and delivery process for all of our customers in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and soon Boston.

Why did you apply for this internship?

I applied for this internship because I knew that I wanted to work at a small company/startup that would let me work closely with high-level management. I also wanted the flexibility to take on a variety of different roles, and have the chance to explore different parts of the decision-making process.

What is something you have learned from your internship that you didn’t expect?

I learned how to ride a bike!

Bicycles are a major part of the business idea at Wash Cycle. Delivering laundry mainly on bicycles is how we reduce our carbon footprint. Though they didn’t personally teach me how to ride a bike, the way biking brought the community at WC together definitely inspired me to learn. I actually covered the 25-mile Lehigh Gorge trail in the Poconos in July!

Was this internship what you expected it to be?

Both yes, and no. I’ve always known that startups are generally fast-paced, and every day there is a new challenge. But being present when it seems like everything is falling apart is a completely different experience. It definitely took me a couple of weeks to adjust and accept that there will always be obstacles and there will always be issues. But I soon started relishing the challenges instead of fearing them, and l think that that is when I was able to be completely happy with my experience.