A Postcard From: Mecca Naeem Harris ’20

Name: Mecca Naeem Harris
Major: Undeclared/Independent Major Candidate
Hometown: Bronx, N.Y.

Internship Placement: The African American Museum in Philadelphia
Job Title: Intern for the Curator of Education
Location: Philadelphia

What’s happening at your internship?

The Curator of Education oversees the implementation of programming for younger ages. What the interns and I are doing at the moment is developing workshops, worksheets, and other programming for children of all ages. Specifically, right now we are working on workshops for our PhilAesthetic exhibit, which celebrates the Black Arts Movement. I am also working on developing other programming that the Museum can use in the future.

Why did you apply for this internship?

I applied for this internship because though my heart is in film and media, I grew up in New York City with a love and genuine appreciation for the museums there. I am aware of the kinds of impacts that art and museums can have on children.

What has been your favorite part of this internship?

My favorite part about this internship is that we have space to move creatively. The workshops that we are developing and coming up with are our own, truly. Some internships are very “go-fer” oriented, where as this one allows us to suggest programming, write up proposals, and figure out how our talents can best serve the institution. The Museum wants you to show off your best self.

Living in a new city? What has that experience been like for you?

Unlike during the school year, I spend every day in Philadelphia. The museum is in Center City, and gives me access to all of Philadelphia. All of the interns go out for food sometimes, and I have discovered a whole lot of restaurants that I will be sure to visit in the future.