A Postcard From: Catherine Rowen ’18

Rina and Catherine at Work! Photo credit: Joanna Underwood

Name: Catherine Rowen
Major: Archaeology
Hometown: Santa Cruz, Calif.

Internship Placement: Energy Vision
Job Title: Summer Associate
Location: New York City

The last month at Energy Vision has been full of excitement. Rina and I have been made to feel very much part of the team and have been given several important responsibilities for the summer. I am taking point on a report Energy Vision is compiling this summer on small-scale sustainable waste-energy units that offer communities and businesses onsite waste management options. I promise it’s a lot more exciting than it seems! I am getting a lot of time to talk to the leaders in this field and become an expert on a burgeoning industry with a bright future.

I have followed Energy Vision’s wonderful work ever since their President Matt Tomich came to a Bryn Mawr Geology class of mine sophomore year. He inspired me to do a lot of my own research on this topic and I jumped at the chance to contribute to their efforts.

What is something you have learned from your internship that you didn’t expect?

I am surprised by how much I love having a 9-to-5 job and seeing how much of a difference I can make by doing work that I love. I am excited to go to work every morning and tackle new problems. I love academia, but I love being part of a team even more. Especially one with such an important mission.

Living in a new city? What has that experience been like for you?

New York City is wonderful! I was afraid I was going to fall in love with it and all my fears were valid. It has been a real challenge to find and build a social network from the ground up, but I have met many fascinating people and managed to create the beginnings of a life for myself here. Thanks to LILAC for making that possible.